I don’t really have much to write about at the moment. Well, that’s not really true but it’s late and I’ve wasted all my article writing time arguing on the internet. Oh boy!
Instead, what we have today is a short piece about news in general. I offer nothing particularly insightful or groundbreaking, but things that are always useful to keep in mind when reading the news.
- The news is a business.
- You are not the intended market.
- Advertisers are the intended market.
- You are for sale.
- There is no such thing as “common sense”. The phrase exists only to avoid undesirable, often baseless arguments.
- There is no such thing as” common sense”. So important it’s worth listing twice.
- The first statement on any topic is invariably a lie. Getting your desired version of events (especially if untrue) into the news first is vital.
- The Science is wrong.
- The most important information is in the last 3 paragraphs of the article.
- The news is not a public service.
- The news should be a public service.
- Balance is bullshit.
Short and succinct and I hope helpful to you.