Well it is now 2013 so it is time for those dreaded News Year’s Resolutions.
Normally, I never make them but this year I want to get stuff down. Actually, I want to get stuff done every year but just never get around to it. I’m hoping by making a list and checking my progress every now and again will encourage me to get a whole bunch of stuff done. A lot of it is quite ambitious, but you don’t get anywhere in life without being ambitious, or so I’m told.
- Write a novel – Pretty straight forward.
- Complete a novel – A bit of semantics, but 50,000 words isn’t a novel, it is a draft. Get to the end.
- Get something published in print – The internet is great, but there is something special about seeing your work in print.
- Write comedy pilot for submission to BBC – Been working on this project for a few months already, but didn’t have anything ready for the last submission window.
- Write a one-act play – The simplicity of thing appeals to me, though I suspect this to be one of the toughest things on the list.
- Get a one-act player performed live – This is the big one. I’ve no idea how to go about doing this, but until point 5 is completed I won’t worry too much about it.
- Complete screenplay – I have an idea about how to do this, but I actually need to do it and probably start from scratch.
- Get screenplay made – This is by far the biggest challenge of the year and I have my doubts about the feasibility of getting it done. The screenplay is going to be very low budget, so that helps and I’d like to do it myself, but I’m not fooling myself about the ambition of this one.
Those are my basic resolutions and I’ve no idea if any of this is going to work. I will produce regular reports to (hopefully) encourage myself to do some work, but time will tell.
Happy New Year!